Monday, May 12, 2014

FAMILY REUNION

Often many of us neglect to connect with family, near and/or far.  We are busy we say.  and we also say, "I'd rather golf. I need to attend an important business meeting.  It's too far to travel.  I don't really have anything in common with those people anymore." Etc., etc.!!

When my sister-n-law told us she was putting together a family reunion with my husband's grandmother's siblings' children I thought, "Well, I won't know any of these people. Maybe I should stay home and catch up on...something?"

We arrived Friday evening at the darling Lee's Resort on Grand Lake O' The Cherokees in northeast Oklahoma.  The resort is perched high upon a bluff overlooking the lake.  Oklahoma spring winds were creating a rainfall of pollen and oak droppings. There were multiple shades of green everywhere.  Small water fountains, a man-made flowing stream, flowerbeds with name tags of what was planted and who lovingly planted it caught my attention.  We each had our own quaint little cabin and were warmly greeted by the owners in the 'cook shack'.  And I must say the breakfast hash browns were the best I've ever tasted in my life!

My husband's grandmother was one of 8 siblings.  So it was hard for me to keep track of who was from which sibling.  Soon, it didn't matter anymore.  We became one.  Stories were flowing from childhood memories, weddings, funerals, and the grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary.  These precious cousins were arriving from California, Louisiana, Texas, Oregon, Kansas, Colorado, Maryland and our lovely state capitol. One dear group of siblings had a sister and brother who had not seen one another in 17 years!! What a reunion that was!!!

I loved just watching all of them laugh, shed a few tears, nod in agreement and share, "Remember the time..?"

There were many activities: fishing, boating, sea-do riding, walking, cooking, and a skit from an old Jack Parr show enacted! There were wee ones, toddles, adolescents, lovebirds, and us older folk.

I also especially enjoyed hearing some stories begin with, "Our Mother..."

The really fun part was the sharing of photos from 'back when'.  Each person brought family photo albums or boxes of photos from childhood or before.  Those 8 siblings were beautiful and brilliant and each had a great sense of humor it seemed.  An old movie that was filmed by my husband's uncle in the 50's of an anniversary of the great grandparents was digitally changed to a DVD by a family member and we watch it with great enjoyment!!

And one dear cousin's wife, knowing about my career, shared with me a couple of stories about loved ones who were nearing death and speaking to their sisters who had transitioned years before.  They were standing at the foot of the bed she said, ready to assist in the 'journey'.

Well, needless to say, I wouldn't have missed this!! It rates as one of the best weekends of my life!  I made a whole new connection to some pretty awesome souls!

It taught me to rethink how 'busy' I think I am.  I need to get my side of the family together!! Kind of like herding cats! I'll start with having lunch with my sisters!! And get my Dad and his sweet wife in the car and go see my Aunt Chris and Uncle Red!!

Sunday we headed home and topped the day off with our lovely daughter and her precious husband and our beloved grandson #1 for a late lunch on Mother's Day! And the sweetest text from grandson #2 came later that night wishing me a Happy Mother's Day! Priceless!

I've been told by more than one that we choose ahead of time who we will 'be family' with when we come to Earth.  Many would agree, many would disagree.  I certainly can't prove that one way or the other.

But with all the challenges, all the celebrations, I wouldn't trade my tribe for anyone else's tribe.   I'm so thankful for my roots with my birth family and so very proud to be Mrs. Becki Hawkins.  My husband and his sisters were a treat to watch this past weekend...all smiles!!

Parting shot, make time...plan a family reunion!

1 comment:

  1. A big thank you to my sister-n-law who got this great group together!!

    ReplyDelete