Sunday, January 28, 2018

A DESIRABLE WOMAN

Several years ago a young man approached me at a social function.  He was new in our community. He said, "Mrs. Hawkins, where would be the best place to socialize to meet a nice young lady?"

I couldn't help but smile. He was serious and I felt honored he thought I might know. So I asked him, "Define 'nice young lady' for me."

"Oh, well, someone who is educated, enjoys her career, and enjoys an active lifestyle perhaps a jogger or a bicyclist or prefers yoga, also with a great sense of humor....that kind of nice young lady."

"I think you have answered your question. I'd join the local gym and the yoga class. And I think I'd see if there a young professionals group that meets on a regular basis. If you are also interested in someone kind as well I'd volunteer for a local service organization. Examples might be: the local animal rescue groups, an after school program helping students, the area ministry center that gives food and clothing and shoes, etc. to those in need, a church/synagogue/meditation of your choice."

"Does that help any?"

"Yes, I think so. I'm not too crazy about those online dating sites. My Dad met my Mom in high school and my grandparents met as neighbors when they were young. I'd like to find a woman that has a really kindhearted spirit and is drop dead gorgeous and is educated and loves her career and likes animals and is sensible about finances and .... Well, I appreciate you listening. My Mom says that woman is out there and I'll find her at the right place and the right time and I'll know without a doubt she's the one."

I was smiling again. "I imagine your Mom is right. Just focus on being you and doing what you enjoy in your career and in your leisure time."

I walked over to my husband who was finishing up a conversation with an old friend. When he turned to look at me I said, "Hello handsome!"

Forty Eight years this anniversary year was flashing memory after memory from the first time we met when we were at our lockers in High School 1968.  The guy I was "going with" at the time had a locker right next to my future husband.  This other guy said, "You know, I've changed my mind about going to the Sadie Hawkins's Dance with you Saturday night. In fact I don't think I want to go steady anymore."

Then he shut his locker and walked away. My future husband was standing there looking at me and said, "Hey, I'll take you to the dance." And that he did! He didn't even know me and yet was that kind to 'rescue' a shocked 16 year old.

I wasn't feeling very desirable in those moments that day. But sometimes I think The Design weaves and creates a little magic when we least expect it. To this day I still get excited when he says my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment