Monday, March 31, 2014

A Dog's Sense of Humor!

I was working in a Home Health/Hospice setting many years ago here in NE Oklahoma. Just let me say, never was I bored with my job as a Registered Nurse!!

It was one of those Spring mornings that I wasn't quite focusing well. Allergies? Lack of sleep? I arrived to the hospital to get my assignments and supplies while trying to locate my coffee cup and attempt to find my cheerful self. Where was she?

I half-heartedly went wandering into the supervisor's office to see where I was going. She was extremely brave taking on that position! She had to juggle clients, their families, nurses, doctors, aides, physical therapy, etc. We nodded to one another as I sought my desk to get paperwork and plan my drive and make phone calls.

I crawled in behind my steering wheel after loading my car with everything I thought I might need.  I was grateful for the 40 minute drive to see the first patient.  She was in her 60's and in renal failure and she was married to a darling 80 year old man who adored her and took care of her night and day.  Being with them was a good way to start my day.

As I headed their direction I began to notice the daffodils, the forsythia bushes and the pink and white dogwood and redbud trees. They were flirting with the light breeze and warming sunlight. The pastures were turning green and welcomed the little Holstein calves bouncing up and down as if they had springs in their hooves. Sunbeams were slicing through the trees on the rolling hillsides. Suddenly I realized, it was the pollen that was after me! And I truly thought to myself, "I don't care! Thank God winter is over!" I could take a Sudafed when I returned home! (the old days)

I pulled my car into the yard next to the white picket fence where my patient lived. I was all charmed by the drive to get there and was fiddling with the idea of singing Oklahoma. But the song left me promptly when I caught an eyeful of my left front tire slowly deflating! Oh no!! Not here! Not now!

But to be honest, is there anywhere or anytime we do want a flat tire?!!

When I got inside their cozy cottage I asked my patient if there was a tire repair shop in the area.  I thought maybe I could get it fixed while I took care of her needs and did her assessment, etc.

"Don't be silly Becki! Fred'll fix it!" She said.

"Fred", she hollered in his best ear's direction, "FRED, GO FIX BECKI'S FLAT TIRE."

"What? A flat? Who's got a flat? You, Becki? I'll fix it! I've fixed hundreds of them." He said while limping and shuffling off to the front door.

"Oh! No Sir! That's very nice but I can handle it." I said as I tried to dissuade him, fearing he'd hurt himself.

I could see visions of a newspaper headline. "Nurse kills patient's husband because of her flat tire causing him to drop dead of a massive heart attack!"

Well I was really awake now!

I pulled out the pretend spare tire, the miniature jack and that thing-a-ma-jig that pulls off your hubcaps and everything else important looking in the trunk.

First we cranked it one way, then another.  Finally, I retrieved the manual from the glove box.  Charlie thought this was great fun.  He jumped into the front seat as I put on the emergency brake. I began bargaining with God. "Oh Lord, I know the tire can be replaced, the upholstery can be cleaned, but please don't let Fred get hurt under my car."

I pointed to the pictures in the manual showing Fred where to put the jack, then turned to locate the spare again just in time to catch Charlie peeing all over it! Oh boy! Now my hands weren't only going to be black. They would be black and wet and smelly!

Suddenly I couldn't help but laugh and as the day progressed the more humorous the event seemed.  It didn't get real funny though till I got home with it all behind me.  More than likely it's the last time I'll underestimate the strength of an 80 year old man or a dog's sense of humor!

Often we think we know how to prepare for the day but the older I get the more I appreciate living in the Now moment, aiming to anticipate joy and surprise, shooing away any fearful thoughts, enjoying laughing at myself!

What did my patients teach me? Plenty! Life is not a check list! Enjoy your day dear friends! And pet a dog! Stay healthy and strong because you might need to help an old lady that looks just like me with a flat tire!


Take a look at my website
www.ladyhawkpublishing.com
My book is available there along with the e-book.
Transitions: A Nurse's Education about Life and Death



No comments:

Post a Comment