Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Celebration of Life

Our daughter introduced me to a dear friend of hers on Face Book several months ago.  She wanted me to get to know her since her husband was fighting an aggressive cancer.  She thought that maybe I could read her posts and think of something to say that might be helpful since my career had been in Oncology and Hospice as a registered nurse and chaplain.
What I did, more than anything, was 'listen' to her posts and reply if she asked for a reply.  I am amazed that this beautiful young woman displayed such courage, fight, compassion, strength, and yes, even at times, humor, in the many ups and downs these challenges can bring to one's doorsteps.
With her writing I felt I knew the lay of the land where they lived.  I could see the terrain, feel the summer heat, and hear the dogs bark with enthusiasm when her beloved would return from a trip to the oncologist.  My heart would swell when she poured her heart into her written words.
About eight weeks ago her beloved died or as I like to say, transitioned.  She was planning the memorial service and asked if I could share some words of comfort and a prayer at the end of the service she had diligently planned.
I always try to honor the specifics a family requests.  Her requests were simply, "Keep it short, please." Because, you see, she had already planned a beautiful service: the music he loved, her own sharing of words, a very close friend's sharing, and a detailed tribute to his life in a video presentation, and the gift of friends who were willing to stand and share remembrances. And with all of this before I spoke, I came to know her beloved even more.
He loved movies, he was brilliant, he was compassionate, he had a great sense of humor, he owned "intense wit", was in love with his dogs, and always, always made integrity the backbone of his life.  Person after person stood to speak.
You see, the thing is this: I have attended or spoke at so many services over the years.  But this celebration of a life was one of the most touching, unforgettable celebrations I've ever had the honor to attend.
We all will have our day.  It's a given.  At some hour after we make our own transition, someone will be standing to speak about us.  How do you want to be remembered? Truly folks, it's not about our degrees, our connections with movie stars, our china, our cars or our flowerbeds or diamonds! Not that there is anything wrong with any of that.  But, at the end of the day it is about how we treat one another (animals and earth included).
Grab your spouse or partner and hug and kiss at random times of the day, take the kids for a play date as a surprise, call your Mother or your Father or Grandparents or siblings and share some great memories with them, give a co-worker a fresh cut bunch of daises or an armload of brilliant mums, visit one who is lonely,....not so someone can speak highly of you, but because it's good for our souls.  For how we treat one another is embedded into the 'DNA' of our souls and that energy stays with us for eternity. And! There is a study that shows when one is blessing another, three are blessed: the one who blesses, the one who is being blessed, and the one who observes it!
Namaste!

2 comments: