Friday, September 27, 2013

A Visit

I love walking outside in comparison to indoors. So I walk for an hour everyday possible in our northeast Oklahoma town up and down the streets in a residential section and downtown on main street. I'm a waver, a tree-hugger, a nodder. Some drivers wave back and some stare at me like I'm from Mars. Some smile and honk their horns and some frown and make faces. God love us all!!

One day last week a gentleman stopped his car right on the street, put it in park and began to visit. He introduced himself and told me about how much his wife enjoys my articles. He said she wasn't in the best of health and one day told him she sure would love it if I'd visit her one day. How would you turn that invitation down!! He tore off a scrap of the adjacent brown paper bag in his front seat and wrote down her name and their address and phone number. He thanked me, put his car in drive and sped away.
I carried the little piece paper tightly in my hand.

I called him a few days later and made an appointment with them. Today was the day. What a cutie!! She has soft white hair, a little bit of difficulty walking, a very gentle voice and a warm smile. We settled into the rockers in their living room. I gave her my book and thought perhaps I'd stay a few minutes to chat and then hurry on to my list of Very Important Things to Do!

She thanked me for the book and then began to explain that she loves my patients' stories and how much they mean to her. She said, "I'm not afraid to die."

That's when I realized that this visit wasn't going to be a 'come and go' one. I settled in some more. Her husband excused himself to go see a friend. I think he knew what was coming.

She shared about her health, her childhood, her children, her talent of painting, showing me several really very nice pieces. She pointed to one nature setting.  "See the mushrooms in this one? My mother told me I wasn't through with this painting until I added the mushrooms."

"Your Mother?" I always pay attention to comments like this and respect them! So many have shared with me before of deceased relatives occasionally speaking to them.

She nodded.

"Your Mother speaks to you?"

"Yes, she does. We were very close." She affirmed and then went back to describing her work with the hidden mushrooms, a squirrel's nest, a hummingbird, an owl woven into the art with just a hint of where they were hiding. Each piece was serene and inviting.

"You see Becki, we all have talents given to us from God. Yours is in how you sit with people as they are dying and your writing. Mine is painting. We are suppose to use our talents.
I want you to know I pray for you and your success. I want you to know I appreciate your talents." She smiled while patting my hands.

I bent over and gathered her up close and hugged the whey out of her! "Thank you!"
We prayed together for her strength, humor, peace and all she needed for the rest of her days.

I drove home smiling at the Very Important Things to Do List idea. Sometimes Spirit/God/All That Is adds to our list a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment